Sunday, August 08, 2010

Europe in Vellore

Sundays are our days off, so Lucy and I spent couple hours at the swimming pool in the afternoon. It costs Rs200* to use the pool for a day, but we both got a 1-year membership, so we can go there everyday if we had time.

The pool is one of the main hubs for the many foreigners that come to Vellore (mostly med students rotating at CMC). So I got to meet several people from the UK, France, and Denmark. It was nice and refreshing to meet a bunch of people from various places. The place is well isolated from the outside world that, with all these Europeans, it almost felt like I wasn't in India any more. It's definitely a nice little getaway (and it's only a 15-minute walk from our apartment!).

Since we haven't started our research projects yet, I feel like I've been on an extended vacation... haha. I'm sure I'll get busy with work soon enough. I should enjoy this free time while I can.

After the pool I went to church service on CMC Campus. I came in couple minutes late because I thought the service was at another place, and when I sat down, I noticed that everyone around me were female. So for a second I thought I must have sat in the female section (not that I knew if there was one, but recently I found out that the seats on the left side of public buses are reserved for women). After a quick look-around, I realized that about 85% of the congregation were female. So I figured I was in the right place. It turns out all the nursing students were there, and they usually attend chapel at the CMC Hospital (which is different from Campus).

After chapel Lucy and I went to Dr. Kang's house, which is on CMC campus, for dinner. It was really nice getting to know her and her husband in a casual setting.

It was definitely a nice relaxing Sunday.




------------------

*Rs = rupees; Rs200 is about $4.35.

No comments:

Post a Comment