Thursday, August 12, 2010

Darling Residency

Darling Residency (photo from its Facebook page).
Every Wednesday night, many of the international students (about 30 or so) gather to eat at a rooftop restaurant in a hotel called Darling Residency. It's another great opportunity (other than the swimming pool) to meet with people from around the world.

This week I met students from Malaysia, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, and Canada in addition to the ones I met last week, who are from Austria, Nigeria, Australia, UK, France, and Denmark. It's been a bit of a challenge learning their names (and I'm sure they have just as much difficulty with mine), but it's been a lot of fun learning about them and the places they come from.

The Mixed Sizzler.
Darlings serves quite a variety of dishes (mostly Indian and Chinese), and they are fairly descent (and more importantly, clean). This week I decided to go for one of the most expensive dishes (although it was still only Rs220, about $4.80) called Mixed Sizzler. Basically they put a bunch of stuff (chicken, lamb, prawn, fish) with gravy, and serve them on a sizzling platter. Interestingly, the menu says it comes with "ice cubes & butter" and we were all curious to find out what that was about. That was really the main reason I ordered it, but disappointingly I didn't see any ice cubes or butter. Although, it did make quite a sizzling noise when they brought it. It's a small place, so the entire restaurant could hear it coming.

In any case, I like coming to Darlings because I get to meet new people, not so much for the food. International students come and go throughout the year, so I'll probably get to meet a lot of people during my time here. By the end of it Lucy and I could be experts on Darling's menu.

Here are some more photos from the night:
Med students from Malaysia and UK.

Shellva from Malaysia, me and Florian from Austria.

Lucy from Boston and James from Australia.

The three midwifery students from Denmark and Craig from Canada. (Sorry Eric, I cut you off accidentally.)

No comments:

Post a Comment