Monday, July 17, 2006

Doxa in Kenya: A Glimpse of Reality

Friday, July 14.

The nurse from Masai came by this morning. Her name is Puiming (or Puimeng, I'm not sure). There are two mission stations in Masai. One is Kilhani, where the clinic is. They also have a church and a secondary school that BCEA helped build. The other is Lenkijape, where they built a church, a primary school, and a kindergarten. Basically, I got to talk with Puiming, and we made some plans. For now, I'll be going to her place (Kilhani) on Monday July 24, stay there for a week, then go to Lenkijape and work there for three weeks. After that, I'll be going to Tanzania for the opening of the new Bible College in late August. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing, but at least I know when and where I'll be for the next month and a half.

From talking with Puiming, it seems like my time in Masai will be pretty rough. She said Kilhani won't be too bad. They have a pretty nice guest house with electricity (from generator) and running water (I think that's what she said). But she said I'll have to cook for myself and such. Basically she's too busy to look after me. I'll also have to pay for utilities. In Lenkijape, people tell me I'll experience real Africa. No electricity. No running water. I'll be living in the "bush" for three weeks... Puiming said the pastor's wife in Lenkijape could cook for me if I pay her. So I guess I'll be eating some real African food as well. I'll be really disconnected from the rest of the world when I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment