Monday, July 17, 2006

Doxa in Kenya: Bargaining & Evangelism

Thursday, July 13.

Man, it's cold here... Who would have thought it would be so cold right below the equator? At least I didn't. So I only brought one pair of jeans, and a few pairs of shorts. I needed some long pants, so yesterday I went out to a smaller Nakumatt store. Around the store, there were several people carrying random goods, such as dvds, tv antennas, kids' toys. One guy was selling pants, so Mrs. Yoon negotiated with him for me. The guy offered one pair for 500 shillings, but we ended up getting two pairs for 600 ($10 = 715 shillings). So it was a pretty good deal. I'm wearing one right now, and it fits just fine. The other one is a bit tight, but hopefully I can wear it in a couple weeks.

During the afternoon on Wednesdays, the students go out to the community for evangelism. So yesterday I followed two of them, Peter and Joel, to a village named Marurui. Peter is only 6 months younger than me, and he's probably the youngest student here. He would talk to random people walking by and start evangelizing. He talked in some Kiswahili dialect, so I couldn't understand a word he said. Marurui is a small village, but in LA standards, it's worse than the worst ghettos. People live in houses made of metal sheets, kids run around in dirty clothes, and families cook on fireplace made with a few rocks and twigs. We went into someone's house, talked, and a lady named Joyce prayed to receive Christ! We also visited Mary, one of the church members, and read some scripture and prayed together. I got to learn some Kiswahili from Peter and Joel. (I also learned that "Swahili" and "Kiswahili" are the same language, but Swahili also refers to a certain group of people.) We were out for about two hours, and I was quite exhausted afterwards.

I just talked with Rev. Kim a few minutes ago about what I could be doing for the next year in Africa. He gave me three options. One is to work at a clinic in Masai, which I mentioned in my last entry, another is to help the school here by teaching English and working on administration, and the other is to help the school in Tanzania (another Bible College they are building, which will be open this August/September) either with the building or teaching. Since I have a whole year ahead of me, I told him I'm willing to do all sorts of things. So I could be working at a clinic for a while, and also teaching English later. Tomorrow, Rev. Kim will talk to the nurse from Masai, and figure out if I can work with her, and when will be the best time for me to go there.

I'm truly grateful for what God has done to me. I really don't deserve to have all this opportunity. I'm thankful because I have been entrusted with so much. Before I came here, I didn't know what opportunities were available, but I stepped out in faith, believing that God has some purpose for me here. It was pretty clear to me and to many people that God was leading me here to Kenya. God never fails to surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment