Saturday, July 22, 2006

African Courier #1: Into the Woods

Jambo!

It's been two weeks since I came to East Africa, and it feels like a lot has happened already. To mention a few, a missionary team from London came and I got to join them in their ministry for their last few days, Pastor Kiarie got married last week, and I went down to Tanzania couple days ago to see the new Bible college under construction. You can read about them on my blog (http://doxadeo.blogspot.com).

However, the real African experience starts tomorrow. I'll be going to Masai Land to spend a month there. That's where people live in huts made out of cow dung, and most places don't have electricity or running water. So I'll be disconnected from the rest of the world except through my cell phone.

Speaking of phones, I just got one today. If you need to contact me, or just want to chat, my number is: 0727-867-619. Incoming calls and SMS are free for me (outgoing SMS is very cheap), so don't hesitate to call or text! The country code for Kenya is 254. (e.g. If you're calling from the US, dial 011-254-727-867-619. If that doesn't work, add 0 before 727.)

For the first week, I'll be volunteering at a clinic, then for three weeks after that I'll be helping with a ministry while most likely living in one of the cow-dung huts. I have no idea how I will recharge my phone battery without electricity, but even the Masai warriors have cell phones (or maybe it's because they are warriors that they have cell phones), so I'm sure there's a way.

Please pray for me as I will be entering an entirely different culture. Pray that I will be able to share God's love by my actions, that I will glorify God in whatever I do. I will be in a relatively less safe environment, so please pray for safety and health. Although, without God no place is safe, and with God everywhere is safe. The Lord is my refuge. To be honest, I am a bit scared and worried. Please pray that I will have more faith in God.

You'll hear from me again next month, if I'm still alive by then.

In Him,
SunMin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sunmin! I got an email from you. Nice blog! Anyway, I hope you're having fun doing your work in Africa. I'll be praying for your safety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! Thanks for your prayers. Btw, which Emily are you? ^^;

    Hey Aerin! Good to hear from you! Wow, you were in India for 3 months!? I want to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete