Friday, July 11, 2008

Labadee, Kayaking, Snorkeling, Starfish, and Priorities

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Today we got to go to Labadee again! This time we went to Columbus Beach, which is much more secluded than other beaches at Labadee, so it was almost like a private beach for us.

We brought kayaks, so I went kayaking couple times. Neil and I rowed out and met up with Evan and Nadine far from the shore. Nadine dared me to take a dip, so I took a dip in the deep water for the first time ever. I have no idea how deep it was. Kind of scary but exciting!

We also brought some snorkeling gears, so I went snorkeling with Neil and Nadine. We saw lots of little fishes, corals, sea urchins, etc. I had never snorkeled before, so this was another first time for me.

We found a big starfish, so I played with it for a while. I flipped it upside down and watched it flip itself over. It took like five minutes, but it was so cool that I watched it twice. It was a very exciting day at the beach.

During dinner at the Holiday House, the long-term missionaries take turns to join the short-term missionaries and share their testimonies. Today it was Gavin's turn for the first time since I got here, so I got to here how he decided to do medical missions. His testimony had a lot of similarities with mine in terms of wanting to do medical missions, so what he said really resonated in my mind. What especially struck me is when he talked about setting priorities straight. He told us how he had put so much importance in doing medical mission, but one day he realized that he needed to put God and relationship with Him first before missions. I realized that I had been putting so much emphasis and effort into preparing for medical missions that my relationship with God had come to a standstill. I believe that God has called me to do medical missions, but I need to let God prepare me for it and focus more on growing closer to Him.

Before serving dessert, the kitchen ladies called me over to the kitchen and told me that they made a birthday cake but didn't know who it was for. Apparently someone had asked them to make a cake for Vicki today (even though her birthday was Thursday). They weren't quite ready with the candles, so I just stood in the kitchen facing the dining hall, and everyone else just stared at me waiting for me to say something. I didn't know what to say because I didn't want to ruin the "surprise" so I just stood there smiling until the cake was ready. After a little bit of awkward moment, we celebrated Vicki's birthday again.

After dinner we were joined by Amy, and the seven of us played dutch blitz. Since we had an odd number of players, Laura played by herself. She had won every time we played, and somehow, even though she was on her own, she beat us all... How in the world? It must be the way she shuffles her cards... jk. Sorry for giving you such a hard time, Laura. You've proven to us that you're the best dutch blitz player in Haiti. For now anyway.

Afterwards we went over to Amy's house and watched first half of Chaos Theory. Kind of a random movie, but I'm interested to see how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment