Monday, April 09, 2007

Haitian Diaries: Mountains Beyond Mountains

Sunday, March 25, 2007
"Beyond mountains there are mountains"
is an Haitian proverb. I just finished reading Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder on my flight to Miami (and I'm typing this on the plane). It's a book about Paul Farmer, a doctor who has done and is doing some amazing things for the poor (and the sick) around the world, including Haiti. The book was especially meaningful because Farmer is an example of the type of doctor I want to be and the kind of attitude I want to have towards patients and the poor. It's very inspiring.

So why am I flying to Miami? Actually that's not my destination. It's just a brief stop where I can get access to the internet (for the last time in a while) and post this blog entry before I enter the land of "mountains beyond mountains." That's right, I'm on my way to Haiti.

I'm flying with a medical missionary team from Abundant Mission Church in LA. We'll be running a free clinic for a week, and the team will leave while I stay there for 3 more months.

I don't know much details yet (as it is often the case with my trips), but I'll be staying with a missionary who is in her 60s and runs an orphanage. So most likely I'll be teaching English and songs and stuff like that. It would be really cool to visit Zanmi Lasante (Paul Farmer's hospital) in Cange in the central plateau. I could really learn something important from there.

I'm told that where I'll be staying they only have electricity 2 hours a day and no internet, even though it's in Port Au Prince (capital of Haiti). I'll have to go find an internet cafe to get online. I'm going to miss broadband, but I think I'll be fine (I did survive Masai Land without electricity or running water for a month, and I would still go back there.)

Please keep me and the team in your prayers. I will post on the blog as often as possible (probably every time I get access to it).

I'll be back June 28.

[Obviously I didn't get access to internet in Miami, hence I'm posting this two weeks later in Haiti]

No comments:

Post a Comment