Monday, April 09, 2007

Haitian Diaries: Candle Light Once Again

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
I woke up to the sound of alarm from my phone. It was set to 4:30AM. We had an early morning service at 5, and then breakfast. The children line up in the morning t greet us. Each of them kissed our hands and we theirs.

Today was the first day of clinic, but it took quite a while to actually start the clinic. We made several stops, particularly at churches to give out balloon figures and bread and juice. Before long, it was lunch time even before we started the clinic, so we ate at a restaurant at a gas stand. We had some chicken, pasta salad, and rice. I had a can of this juice that tasted like banana strawberry milkshake, but it was all artificial flavor... yuck. Exported from Kansas.

The clinic was amazing. We had two doctors and two lines of patients. One was a medical doctor and the other an acupuncturist. I stuck with the medical doctor. We gave worm medicine and vitamins to every patient plus any other medicine that each needed specifically. Basically, the doctor told me to do stuff, and I did them. Some times I used a syringe to feed babies medicine, sometimes I dropped solutions into patients' eyes, and I had many cases where I had to disinfect and put ointments. Some of them were just pimples, some where actual infections such as ringworm. As I gave the worm medicine and water to patients, I thought maybe I should take one, too, incase I still carried some from Kenya. Probably not, but my bowel movement hasn't been very stable lately. I'll have to see.

My laptop battery didn't get charged, hence I'm writing on a notepad under a candle light... Reminds me of the time I was in Masai, except I had a kerosine lamp back then. I wish we had a solar powered charger... I'll have to get one when I become a real missionary doctor. They have a generator here, which was sent from the church in LA, but it's broken, apparently from all the tossing and turning during shipment.

I love the kids here. They are so playful, full of energy, so sweet. They would give me massages even when I don't ask. They speak bits and pieces of Korean, which is kind of funny. My heart aches for them because they are so innocent yet they are motherless or fatherless. There are certain aspects of being an orphan that you can never understand unless you are on orphan. But I try anyway.

The food we've been eating here at the House of Love is great. It's all Korean food. mostly because of all the food the team brought. I brought some soup powder (which, by the way, were lifesavers in Lenkijape because I was getting quite tired of lack of variety in diet there) and beef jerky. I just threw them into the pile of food, and I haven't seen them since. Hopefully I'll see it later.

I'm quite exhausted. I have the same headache I had in Kenya when I inhaled too much car exhaust. Tomorrow I'll wear a mask and see if it'll make any difference. Tomorrow will be another day of free clinic. I can't wait for tomorrow.

[Obviously, I had to type this on my laptop once I got to recharge it. I'll post more entries soon.]

No comments:

Post a Comment