Friday, August 04, 2006

Doxa in Kenya: Day Trip to Nairobi Again

Sopa?

That's "How are you?" in kimasai (the Masai language), pronounced "soba". Then you answer "ipa" which sounds like "eba" and means "fine".

I've been staying in Lenkijape since Tuesday. There's no electricity, but I'm getting used to it.

I've been writing my journals on a paper (under candle light) so I'll have to type it up some other time. Just to give you some ideas what I'm doing in Lenkijape (officially called Eluanata): I went to a fellowship on Wednesday. It took 50 minutes to get there by foot. The closest home from school and church is at least 15 minutes away. The day goes by so slowly. The place is so quiet. I'm eating mostly potatoes and cabbages. The primary school closed yesterday, and closing ceremony was super long (and boring, since I didn't understand a word of it). I'm learning some kimasai. I can (theoretically) count to 10,000.

Next week I'll be going to Masai Mara with the teachers. I hear that's where they filmed the scenery to the movie Lion King and changed it to animation. I hope I get to see some simba (that's "lion" in kiswahili). We'll be staying there for 3-4 days. I'm pretty excited.

Sere! ("Bye" in kimasai)

No comments:

Post a Comment