Wednesday, August 30, 2006

African Courier #2: Out of the Wilderness

Jambo!

I am simply overwhelmed as I think back to my experiences in Masai Land during the past 5 weeks. Now I am back in my apartment at Bible College of East Africa (BCEA). I just got back yesterday.

Thanks to those who sent me e-mails while I was away. I will get back to you personally as soon as I get a chance.

As I said in my first newsletter, I stayed at two locations in Masai Land. I spent the first 10 days in Kiluani (there is a church, a clinic, and a secondary school built by missionaries), then 4 weeks in Lenkijape (officially called Eluanata, there is a church and a primary school built by the same mission). Here’s a list of things that I did during the past 5 weeks to give you some ideas about life in Masai Land.

Some of the things I did while staying at Kiluani:
· observed as PuiMeng (the nurse) counseled and treated patients at the clinic.
· gave a talk on worms to mothers who came for their children's immunization.
· visited many boma (a unit of Masai houses) with Pastor Stephen Omweri.
· gave guitar lessons to some boys in secondary school.
· helped a prematurely born goat to drink from its mother.
· bought a goat for the mission, saw it being slaughtered, roasted it, and ate it.
· bicycled to Tanzania (~1 hour each way).
You can read more about them in detail on my blog.

Some of the things I did while staying at Lenkijape:
· taught several English worship songs to Sunday School and Youth Group.
· taught math and English to pupils (5-8th grade) who came to school for tuition for two weeks (they are on break from regular classes).
· visited a boma with Pastor David Aluvisia, where pastor shared the Gospel with Nchokei, and I encouraged him to receive Jesus Christ as his personal Savior and Lord. Nchokei is a moran (Masai warrior), and he prayed to receive Christ that day.
· harvested and ate lots of wild honey.
· went to many fellowships. For most of them I had to walk for at least 40 minutes to get there. At one of them, I gave a sermon on Haggai 1. After that, several people prayed to receive Christ.
· went to two circumcision ceremonies. At one of them, one boy and two girls were circumcised.
· shared about the Power of the Holy Spirit with the Youth Group.
· gave a testimony and words of encouragement to the congregation at church.
· took a 4-day trip to Masai Mara, one of the biggest game reserves in Kenya, with the primary school teachers. I got to see many animals (lions, elephants, wildebeests, zebras, gazelles, eland, giraffes, hippos, crocodiles, rhinos, warthogs, buffaloes, hyenas, etc.).
· bought a bicycle for the Lenkijape church to keep when I leave.
· bought food for the youth to eat after one Sunday.
· fed all the church members with some tea and bread, and Sunday school children with some juice and biscuits.
· visited other Korean missionaries at nearby mission compounds (church and primary school in Lumbwa, chapel and agricultural school in Olmaa).
· bicycled to Mile-Tisa (a small village on the main road) many times to run errands. A trip to Mile-Tisa takes about 40 minutes by bicycle through the woods. Now I can go back and forth between Mile-Tisa and Lekijape on my own.
· bicycled to Kiluani for a seminar.
· spent a night in a cow-dung house. The beds are made of cow-skin laid on top of branches, and are rock hard, and they are very short (my knees would dangle from the bed if I tried to sleep straight). During the night a small insect fell into my right ear, and I had to shake it out.
· saw a guinea fowl being slaughtered, and ate it. The meat was super tough.
· lost a bit of weight.
· got sunburned and some suntan.
I’ve kept a journal about my experience in Lenkijape on a notebook, and I’ll type them out and post them on my blog as soon as I get a chance. Then you’ll be able to find out what life in deeper part of Masai Land is like!

The Lord has been merciful to me, and I have been healthy the entire time. And by His Grace I have come back safely. Thank you all for your prayers!

This week, there is a pastor’s conference at BCEA. Then on Saturday, we’ll be going to the new Bible college in Tanzania for its opening ceremony. After that, I’ll be working on building the catalogue for the library at BCEA for a while. I’ll also be teaching English at BCEA this term, which starts next week.

I’m praying that I would be able to go back to Lenkijape again and stay there for a longer time. If it is God’s will, I want to serve Him there more. Now that I’m back where there is electricity (there’s no electricity in Lenkijape), it’s time for me to finish my medical school application. It might be a bit difficult to focus since many things will be happening, so please pray for me. I’m also praying that, if it is God’s will, I would come back here as a doctor to serve Him.

Please continue to pray for the many ministries here. Pray for those who heard the Gospel and received Jesus as Lord and Savior in the past few weeks. Pray that people in Lenkijape would get water soon (this is one of their biggest needs).

In Him,
SunMin Kim
http://doxadeo.blogspot.com

PS. In case you were wondering, you can send SMS to me in Kenya. Just send to: +254
727867619. (To type “+” on the phone, press and hold zero.)

No comments:

Post a Comment