Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Death of a Boy, Booster Shots, and Pubic Sore

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

This morning Ms. Prudence told Laura and me that the boy with diphtheria died last night at the hospital. She didn't tell us how exactly, but perhaps the toxin was too widespread. I don't know. I feel like I lost my first patient. At least he survived Monday. I wonder if his family was with him when he died.

The first thing at the clinic this morning, I helped change the dressing on Madelene, the girl with the machete wound. The wound is healing really well, but it's still very wide. Somehow we'll need to make the skin come closer. We're going to try something next time she comes.

Since today is Wednesday, we had Prenatal Clinic. Laura and I took weights and blood pressures for all the pregnant ladies. Many of them had surprisingly low blood pressures. After all the vital signs were taken, I sat in with Amy and Evan, and measured fundus heights and fetal heart rate.

All the staff who had contact with the boy with diphtheria got a diphtheria/tetanus booster shot and those who were in the emergency room with him for a long time got oral antibiotics (erythromycin) for a week. Everyone was complaining all day that their arm is sore from the shot. Luckily, I didn't have to get a shot since I got a booster in February 2006 to prepare for my trip to Sierra Leone. Good thing I brought my immunization record to prove it.

In the afternoon, I worked in the treatment room (aka injection room) mostly giving IM injections. I learned how to give glute shots in Haiti last year to treat a friend with syphilis, but the only source of info I could find on how to give IM shots was some bodybuilding website. So it was good to have Amy (Canadian nurse) and Lizette (Haitian nurse) teach me and get some proper practice.

The last patient we saw was a 17-year old girl who screamed and cried like a baby as I gave her shots of antibiotics. She had a big sore on the upper pubic area. It looked very painful, and the girl was crying and yelling, "I'm gonna die, the doctors are gonna kill me!" Amy and I tried to calm her down as we cleaned up the wound and bandaged it. Looks like she'll have to frequent the clinic to get treated for a while.

Amy joined us for dinner and shared her testimony/life story. Afterwards we played some UNO and then went over to Amy's house to watch John Q. The content of the movie was pretty good, but the quality was shoddy. My favorite part was when the doctor flicked the rubber heart to restart it after the transplant. The movie was basically a political statement on the US healthcare system.

No comments:

Post a Comment