Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chapel, Blisters, Lightheadedness, and Cheeseburgers

Friday, July 11, 2008

This morning, instead of having a devotion at the clinic, we met at the seminary chapel with people from other OMS ministries. Dr. Rodney lead the devotion, all the different ministries shared their praise and prayer requests, and we all prayed together. We have these meetings once a quarter or so.

In the morning we saw some of our regular patients including Madelene (girl with machete wound) and Augusma (fractured elbow and sutured hand). Madelene's wound still seemed to be healing well. Last time she was here, we put some steristrips across the wound to bring the skin closer and make the wound narrower. The wound was a bit narrower, but there were a couple blisters under the steristrips. It may have been caused by friction from steristrips, or she could be allergic to them, so this time we just bandaged the wound. We'll see if the blisters are any better next time.

Then we saw Augusma, whose hand also seemed to be healing well. So Gavin took out the stitches while I held Augusma's arm so his elbow won't move. After 10 minutes or so I started to feel lightheaded, so I got Laura to cover for me and sat down. Earlier this morning I had some loose stool (probably a side effect from erythromycin). I hadn't had much water since then, and I could feel my heart palpitating (fast and hard), so I was probably dehydrated. Then my stomach started to feel queasy just before I felt lightheaded. Good thing I saw that coming and was able to hold Augusma's arm until someone took over. I sat and put my head between my knees for a while, went to the bathroom, and then I felt much better.

All the missionaries took a half day today and went out to lunch as a farewell for three long-term missionaries: John, Dorothy, and Scott. We went to La Kay restaurant, and most of us got cheeseburgers with fries. We don't get to eat much burgers in Haiti, so it was a treat.

In the afternoon I took a long nap to recuperate from my illness this morning. I feel all better now. After dinner we hung out at Amy's as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment