Friday, July 28, 2006

Doxa in Kenya: Immunization, Worms, and Ulcer

Wednesday, July 26.

Wednesdays are set apart for immunization shots. Along with general patients, many mothers with babies came to have their scheduled immunization shots. I just watched PuiMeng give drops of vitamin A and shots to babies, but it was a good learning experience. I felt a little bad as the babies start to cry right after their shot. They see the needle, but they don't know what's coming to them. As soon as they feel the pain, they start crying. But most of them stopped crying pretty soon. The pain only lasts for a second, so I guess the longer they cry, the longer they remember the pain (or the shorter they cry, the more forgetful they are).

After PuiMeng gave the shots, I gave a little talk to the mothers about worms. I told them the types of worms, how you can get them, how to prevent them, and the symptoms if you have worms. Worm parasites are very common especially in third-world countries because of low personal hygiene. I used the poster that was already made to explain about worms, but I also studied about them in a book yesterday. Most Masai people are not educated, so I had to explain in simplest words as possible. Henry Nyingei translated into Kimasai (language of Masai).

One patient had duodenal ulcer, and he had to be carried in on a stretcher early this morning. He was at the clinic all day, and he was carried back home later. It was dark by the time we started heading back to the mission compound. There weren't much cloud so I got to see some stars again.

I always end the day so tired. I don't even have time to write about all the stuff that's happened and all the things that I learned. I keep saying I'll talk about this later and that some other time... I still need to write more about Masai culture. Although, it's mostly for personal notes, because I'm sure if anybody's reading this, they could just Google Masai, and find everything about them. I have to make some correction to what I said about their promiscuity. Anyway, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment